Monday 19 May 2014

Sewing Circle Tote: A Finish

Huge day today! I have made a bag. No, you heard me correctly, a bag! It has straps, pockets and zippers. The dreaded zipper has been conquered. That's right zipper, bow down to me.
This my friends is Elizabeth Hartman's Sewing Circle Tote


I have had this pattern in my hands for a couple of years now. It has been staring at me, taunting me. But since the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild has started their Sew Ins, I have been wanting to make this bag so that I have a proper carryall for all of my supplies and projects when I go to meet my guild mates for a sew day. And let's face it, I want to look good too and this bag does that!

One of the main features that sold me on this pattern was that I can carry my rulers and they will not be in the way of the handles. That drives me crazy. I now no longer have this problem...


And inside, the storage is never ending. It has five gathered pockets and three zippered pockets inside and four pockets on the outside. And it is a big bag, check out how much stuff I can get in there, and there is still lots of room!


The construction of this bag was no joke. I mean I have never had a bag this sturdy, it is going to last. I have to give props to the good ole' Kenmore for soldiering through the millions of layers to get this puppy done. I cannot even tell you how many needles were broke in the process, but it was epic.

I can't not show you some of the construction pics that I took along the way. Seriously, every new step was a serious triumph for me. I must say that if you are considering making a bag such as this, the pattern was excellent. Very detailed instructions with a lot of pictures.







I have to give a special shout out to my friend Jenn from A Quarter Inch From The Edge for taking this journey with me. I was afraid of the bag so I basically roped Jenn into making it with me as she is a much more accomplished sewist than I when it comes to things not quilt! In total I would say it took us three solid sewing day sessions to make this project, but it was worth it. And it is always more fun to sew together! Here is Jenn taking her construction pictures along the way


The biggest reward of this project is that I feel as though I could tackle other non-quilty projects, even things with zippers :) Oh and another plus...I have finished this just in time for MMQG Sew in next weekend! I am going to look so cool.



I basically want everyone in the world to see my new bag so this week I am going to link up everywhere:
Monday Maker
Anything Goes Mondays
Needle and Thread Thursday
I Quilt Thursdays
Thank Goodness It's Finish Friday!

So how about you? Have you conquered the zipper, or bag making in general? Would love to hear about it. Now I am off to put things in my bag and maybe carry it around the house. Yes, I will actually do that.
Adrienne

Oh I almost forgot, in case you are wondering about fabrics: I used Essex Yarn Dyed Linen in Black for the main bag, Denyse Schmidt Shelburne Falls for the Prints and for the lining, Kona Cotton in Oasis.

32 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous bag! Yay for tackling and conquering it. I've sewn tote bags, but none with pockets. This looks incredibly intimidating to me. You are definitely going to look super cool at the sew-in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! You did a wonderful job. I love making bags. I like the process of taking my time and learning new things along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! I may have to pick up that pattern and attempt to make that bag. I'm booked to go on my first retreat in Nov and it would be great to carry items that I may need :) Just beautiful! Great job!

    I also need to try something with a zipper....someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love your bag. Congratulations on your finish. I will conquer zippers this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job. Love the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bag. Driving into Chezzetcook as I type. Exploring the East Shore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job -- this is a great bag. A friend of mine has one and i marvel it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing bag Adrienne! Can't wait to see it in person on Saturday. Looking forward to my first sew in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Bag! The Combo of grey and red-blue is perfect! And so much space inside! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous bag, I can hardly wait to make something like this for all my teaching gear!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great bag! I was thinking of buying this pattern last week, when she had all her patterns at 25% off, but I bought the quilted tote pattern instead!!! Drat! I like yours so much better. Will have to wait for he next sale!
    Jacqueline in Pitt Meadows

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this bag-I'm so surprised at the essex color-I would call that a gray, not black. Love it, but I'm calling it grey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out amazing! Great job tackling zippers :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I've been on a bag-making binge myself. 2 Sew Together bags and 3 potholders broke a new set of needles on my Kenmore. So, I feel your pain. :-)

    It looks great and oh so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well good for you! It looks beautiful. I have NEVER made a bag

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, good for you, I am still afraid of zippers, but seeing all these bags...I might just have to give it a try. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are really good! A big pat on your back. I sew bags/totes/pouches all the time. http://aquiltersmission.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! That´s a really great sewing tote - so many space in it! Love your Pictures ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Matter of fact I have never made anything like this or totes in general, but this week I promised a birthday bag to a niece and hope to God it works out! I've only been sewing for a few months and I've got a lot to learn. I hope mine turns out as awesome as yours! I could use one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's stunning. I've made one bag and truthfully, I didn't have any interest in making a second. It's probably because I ended up with a bag, that I never used. It actually ended up in that big garbage can, in the sky. This bag, however, could tempt me to try again. Your colour and fabric choices are gorrrrgeeeeous! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic bag, very practical! I love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's fantastic! I've done zippers twice, so I don't fear them per se, but I'll be nervous next time I attempt one, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This bag is gorgeous, Adrienne! I, too, am afraid of bags, but I have a MIL who loves to create them , so just pawn patterns off on her ; )

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I had that bag I'd totally load it up and carry it around the house! It looks fabulous. And HUGE. And now I want one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks gorgeous! Congrats on finishing your amazing bag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! What a bag! Incredible. Thank you for the photo of Jenn too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did an amazing job! I have the pattern but have yet to attempt it. Congrats on teaming up with a friend and creating such a beautiful and useful bag!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well holy crap that looks awesome! I love the Essex Linen with the DS, they just go perfectly together!
    I was just over at Jenn's saying how i've been wanting to make this bag but after hearing that there's 89 steps... uh uh, not going to happen! So feel free to just send me yours. I promise i'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is beautiful. I'm working up the nerve to tackle this project at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am dying to make this bag. Any chance you (or anyone) would be willing to sell your pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello, I really would like to sew this bag, unfortunately the pattern is no longer available. Please, is possible you could share it with me?

    Thank you!
    Elizabeth
    e.delosreyes@live.com

    Mexico

    ReplyDelete