Wednesday 5 March 2014

WiP Wednesday: the one with charm cutting

It's been a long time since I hooked up with WiP Wednesday, but if you have not figured out by my daily posts this week, I am on vacation! Yup, a week with no day job. Just hanging out at the house with the husband, fur babies and the sewing machine. Bliss.

Last fall my husband and his guy posse asked if I would make a quilt for their friend. These guys are all big into fishing, being outdoors etc. They wanted flies and fishing rods in the quilt. Weeelll I just could not get my hands on any fishing themed fabric that struck my fancy (can you say tack-o-rama?) also, this quilt will be for our friends wife as well, so has to have some redeeming lady qualities.

Enter Lush Uptown from Moda

These fabrics have the earthy tones and outdoor theme that I was looking for with also being modern, friggin cool, and delicate all at the same time.


Once the fabric was picked, I needed to decide on a pattern. I have come across a few options over the last months, but nothing was really sticking. But then Fat Quarter Ship released its Charm Pack Cherry Pattern and that was it! You will see lots of the fabric in this design and yet it is simple for the eye. I have yardage of Kona Seafoam on the way to go with the prints. I love that word. Seafoam.

So today I started cutting. The pattern calls for Charm Squares of course, but I had fat quarters, so I pulled out this amazing chart that I came across at 42 Quilts 
http://www.42quilts.com/2014/02/cool-chart-for-cutting-fat-quarters.html

Soon I had a stack of 5" Squares.

This week I am also going to be tackling my scrap bin (well maybe bins...) so with that in mind, once the charms were cut, I trimmed up the rest of the FQs so that I had tidy scraps ready to go into other projects. It feels right to use every bit of a fat quarter. Even those amazing selvages...
So that's what I am working on this week. What are you working on?

Linking up this week with Lee At Freshly Pieced

http://www.freshlypieced.com/

And, since you're here, a couple more Lush Pics.

Happy Quilting
Adrienne

12 comments:

  1. I like the paint by numbers fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect line for what they requested! I can't wait to see it come together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice choice for an outdoorsy feel. I've pulled noteworthy to make the same pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful line of fabric. I wanted to make a charm pack cherry quilt but then I did the 'which way' instead. Maybe I will get to it yet...... Looking forward to seeing yours

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this line -- it's goign ot be a wonderful quilt for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charm Pack Cherry is a lovely quilt that really showcases the fabrics well. It should be perfect for your husband's friend (and wife!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute fabric. Enjoy your fun quilty week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice colors. Especially the ones down at the bottom of the bundle - red-orange, yellow, blue, and grey. I have such a hard time breaking open a bundle. It looks so pretty all tied up with a bow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to look awesome! I've always coveted that line but never got around to buying it. I think that pattern will be perfect. Good Luck with taming your scraps, that's been on my to-do list forever and I never seem to get around to it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the paint by number fabric!! And that is an amazing selvage on the top of the pile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work really like the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOhhhhh...it ALL looks delicious to me! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete