Friday 7 March 2014

Bust Yo Scraps!

For the last two days I have been bustin' my scraps. By busting I mean, actually going through them and cutting them into workable shapes and sizes. I started with this, bags of scraps separated by color.


That corner of basket, that was full too, they never made it to color separating party. Lori from Bee In My Bonnet  posted some great info about how she dealt with scraps and I followed her example.

Basically I went through all of my scraps, ironed and cut them into sizes like 2 1/2", 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" squares, and then lots of various sized strips from 3 to 1 1/2". Anything less than 1 1/2" went into the bin. Now that they are cut, I am already thinking of ways to use them up! Before it was all just so daunting. I think on a go forward all scraps will be cut to size and stored. I am going to try to keep on top of them (try anyway).


Here is my first bag done - reds - all nice and tidy. Once I got near the end I started thinking about what I was going to do with all of these tidy piles. These were full ziploc bags stuffed into a dresser drawer. So a quick trip to my local dollar store (called the Buck and Near, with a pirate logo no less), and I came home with baskets!

 So now everyone is in a nice, neat place. I love this! My anal heart sings at all of this order.




and here they are back in their dresser drawer. They stack in the right some good!



Umm, so this was only my print scraps. I am still left with a small pile of solids to tackle, but I think I will jump on those another day (or maybe another month..or two...)


Now I did have an ulterior motive for all of this bustin'. It's name is Volume...my next project for The Library Project


All of this bustin' has me ready to start sewing! Here are my starter color bundles... I will add as I need to...


I have to admit, I am feeling very accomplished with all of this organizing. How do you deal with your scraps?
Happy Weekend!
Adrienne

18 comments:

  1. That IS a great accomplishment! Yay! love to see well organized scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Your scraps are ready to go when you are. My scraps would scare the life out of you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed. I saw the same post and I've been thinking....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure were busy! I too get overwhelmed with scraps. I try to cut scraps when I am "taking a break." I organize by size only. I like how you have organized by color, and so neatly! Looking forward to seeing the Volume quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an exciting post! Your scraps look so tempting now - I really must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job Ade! Now come do mine, please?! I can pay you in... scraps? ;)
    Love the idea of cutting them all into usable pieces, i guess it may be time to open my diaper box of scrap shame and start sorting and cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job getting everything sorted and cut! I cant wait to see how that values quilt comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks great! I am still intimidated by cutting up my scraps. I'm afraid that I will wish I had left it alone as a bigger piece. I do keep everything sorted by color though. I look forward to seeing the volume quilt you plan to make. I'm a sucker for a good rainbow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine are a tangled mess at the moment, but I don't have that many, so it's manageable. My OCD self loves seeing yours in all those nice neat baskets - enjoy your tidy new pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job. Kudos to no cutting incidents.....couldn't resist LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH my god! I can't believe you did all that cutting in one day :0 Mine is taking me forever :( I'm so sick of cutting, I just want my machine back

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! It's so cool that you can just reach into that drawer and pull out a pile of scraps just the size you need.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My scraps are incredibly unorganized but I worried too organized (what you did above) will limit the projects I can do... Am I over thinking this?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a LOT of cutting and organizing! Looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mine are all in a laundry basket..overflowing..a horrible mess! I wish I had the ambition to this...looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow that is great. Kudos on scrap organization.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I've never really gotten into cutting down my scraps into particular sizes. Looks like a lot of work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job busting those scraps - right some good indeed!

    ReplyDelete