Monday 11 November 2013

The Easy Road

Ever have one of those days where you should be working on the three UFOs hanging in your closet, mending for a client, or any one of the projects from your own Library Project, but instead you pull a fresh bundle of fabric from your stash and start something new and completely unplanned?
Said bundle. Nordika Goodness.


Well, today was that day for me. I just could not get excited about anything that needed to get done. In fact I had a hard time getting excited about doing anything involving the sewing machine. I knew I had to do something. It's like that party. The party that you drag your ass to get to, that turned out to be one of the best nights of your life. 

I knew if I made an impromptu plan that involved cutting into a sweet bundle of cotton that I would have a great day. So I hit my Pinterest Quilting board, and picked one of the many beauties that I have been pinning, saying "I am going to make that some day".

http://www.incolororder.com/2011/08/giant-vintage-star-quilt-tutorial.html

Knowing that I needed something that could give me some instant gratification (something quick and dare I say it - easy), and also showcased the fabric, I chose the Giant Star Tutorial from Jeni Baker at In Color Order. Right now you are thinking, you pick pattern and fabric from the same designer, are you sucking up? I can honestly say that I did not make the connection until I was halfway through the top. I guess it was just meant to be.
My apologies for the Instagram pics, but we are into the dark days of winter my friend. You may see natural light pictures again sometime in April :(

Jeni's tutorial was great and in no time at all I had this beauty up on the design wall. I even finished the top shortly after this pic! If I am not mistaken the grey for the background is Kona Steel (note to self, must start labelling Kona when I bring it into the house).


This was a great pattern for Fat Quarters and you actually end up with enough HSTs cut for two tops. I think on the next one I will use a lighter background just to shake things up!

I am feeling more inspired to get back to work on my other projects now. Except now I have created another UFO..oops! It took a a quick and easy project to get me going, and darn it I had fun doing it! 

So what have I learned today? Despite all of the things that your parents told you, sometimes taking the easy road is the best choice.Any lessons learned in your studio today?
Adrienne

Linking up this week

15 comments:

  1. well, if you're going to shirk your existing UFO's, this one is certainly a good excuse. gorgeous fabrics, and a great pattern to really show them off!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

      :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

      Delete
  2. I totally want to cut into my Nordika and I even know what I am doing with it. But I have a custom order than needs finishing so I am powering through that ;( I also want to make Jeni's giant star someday. Your combo looks amazing!

    andplusalso who are you on IG?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've had this pattern on my "someday" list ever since Jeni posted it on her blog. I think maybe I need to just do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great new flimsy! Thank you Adrienne....I already have plans for the patterns I won in the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I've made a few of these Giant stars and they are so easy and gratifying, and showcase beautiful fabrics! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrienne, you are so not alone in this! LOL I tend to move on an idea when it strikes... which might explain my current stack of UFO's. ;o)
    LOVE your newest UFO! Totally gorgeous. However, I will try to forget I saw it, so I won't be tempted to make one, too (must finish other UFOs first... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks awesome! I love that pattern, i've made one and i couldn't believe how quickly it goes together!
    And I need to do the same with my Kona's, the number of times i've pulled one out and wondered what colour it was!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to do the giant star also.. I just have to figure out what fabrics I want to chop into first. yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this! I have been wanting to make this pattern, but just haven't found my fabric…that and my ufos pile is slightly overwhelming at the moment. lol. Fantastic top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that block pinned as well and love it. I will have to revisit the pattern now that I have seen your beauty. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this pattern is on my list too. I love your version. You deserve me sewing time every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cutting fabric ALWAYS feels good. Glad you're doing something for you. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. UFOs... whatever. Make things that make you happy! Love your fabric choices on this one (again!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used this tutorial recently too. Fast and easy and looks good :) thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete