Tuesday 6 August 2013

Quilting As I Go

Crooked cabins is taking shape. I finished all the log cabin blocks this past week and have also finished all of the Quilt as You Going (QAYG) on them! Using this tutorial, here is how it works

Start by cutting a piece of batting a little bit larger than the square that you want to quilt

Lay the block on top and start quilting! I have seen some people baste the two pieces together with spray baste before quilting, but I didn't find I needed to do this. Even with a 16" block, things stuck together naturally during the quilting process.

Exciting days for me, this is the very first time using Aurifil! I must admit that it is pretty slick, I feel a new addiction growing


Here are some shots of the quilting that I did on the blocks. Basically you can do whatever you want. The sky is the limit, since you can move around the block with ease. I basically echoed the squares in the log cabins. A friend of mine told me she tried this method with free motion quilting but the batting stuck quite a bit so it was not great, but I think anything straight line is fine, I did not have any issues doing my squares with the walking foot on.





 Next step once you are finished with your quilting is to trim the batting from your finished squares.


leftovers = fill for a kitty bed
 This leaves you with a delicious stack of quilted blocks, they even look cool from the back

 



So, that is part one. Next will be to put them together. I have actually started this but am going to save for my next post because, well, I am tired. So I will leave you with the finished layout for this quilt.


See you soon
Adrienne


Linking up at

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt blocks! I love the fabric you've chosen, and the QAYG is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blocks, and your quilting stitches look so perfectly tensioned. Looking great thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours you've used in your blocks - gorgeous! It's going to look great! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are beautiful! I can't wait to see how it looks finished! Thank you for explaining the QAYG, I will definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your blocks; the palette is calm and vintage and modern all at the same time. The QAYG method is starting to call to me. I look forward to seeing and hearing about how you finish the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so fascinated with this process in full sized quilts. I'm excited to see how you put them all together. Thanks for sharing your process :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am recently in love with Aurifil myself, and this is such a cool post!

    ReplyDelete