Thursday 14 February 2013

The Spinner's Loft

I have a confession. I don't know how to knit. I know, gasp! While I am drawn to the colorful wool and clickety clack of needles, I have to admit that I am too addicted to the needle and thread to break away.  However, someday I have dreams of knitting, so this is for all of you knitters out there, a special tour of The Spinner's Loft.



Just a few communities down the coast from my childhood home on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia, The Spinner's Loft is a place where you can learn the art and craft of hand spinning fibers. The Studio sits on the ocean next to to a 19th century fisherman’s Cape house where you can even take advantage of an overnight stay and home cooked meals.


I guess that my other confession today is that the Proprietress and Artist is also my Mother In-Law :) I spent many Friday nights, back in the day, visiting her cute son after school in that quaint home. Leslie Hauck (that's her on the left below) has been spinning for nearly 30 years, using anything that is spinnable from Sable Island pony hair to milkweed pod silk. She has even made me some amazing scarves from dog fur!


According to the lovely Spinner's Loft website; "the Spinner’s Loft is not just about learning to spin, honing your spinning skills, or creating novelty yarns from the exotic fibers you just spun, it is also about unwinding and enjoying your surroundings". True story.

Enough of my ramblings, let's tell the rest of this story in pictures... 











So, I feel that you artists and knitters are already sold on this amazing place ad experience, I mean how could you not be. But what about you non-knitters, or virgin fiberologists (I am sure that is not a word, but I like it)? Want to give it a try? Check out The Spinner's Loft for more information (where I also borrowed these pictures from). And if you see Leslie give her a hug from me!

Adrienne





No comments:

Post a Comment