Thursday 7 June 2012

Maritime Inspiration

This week I am having a holiday in the Maritimes. While I have been living in Ottawa for the last few years, Nova Scotia is my home. There is nothing like the salt air to get my inspiration pumping! I had the opportunity to visit one of the places that first inspired me to quilt, Suttles & Seawinds in Mahone Bay. Suttles has an extraordinary selection of gorgeous clothes and accessories, many locally made. But what drew me, was the Quilt Barn!


Inside this unassuming historic barn is a cache of fabric and beautiful quilts hung on every surface made by local quilters.


I remember seeing the "Canada" Quilt for the first time and thinking "I want to do this!"


Two full floors of quilts and fabric, it is hard not to hunker down at their cutting table and get to work.  Especially with their great selection of Kaffe Fasset fabrics.


While I was drooling over the Kaffe Fasset, I was also drawn (several times!), into a back corner filled with ocean themed rugs, pillows and fabric.


Obviously I was feeling very touristy, because usually this theme does not appeal. But I found the perfect fabric that screams for fussy cutting! Not sure what it will end up in yet, but I am sure I will find those lobsters and crabs a good home.


The best part of the day... my family! While my Dad was not as enthralled as we were about the fabric (he was guarding the parking lot while we shopped), my sister and mom also found lots of inspiration in the rafters.


In fact, I was surprised to hear my mom say "Adrienne I found the next quilt I would like you to make me" and when I looked up, it was a modern design!


This asymmetrical design is gorgeous and for once Mom and I are on the same page! So for sure, this is going on to the "to do" list.

A trip to Suttles never let's me down. It is a trip down my memory quilty lane, and I always come away with a piece (or twelve) of new fabric, and some inspiration for a new project (or ten!). Not to mention, on the way out I found these great chairs. Too bad I need to fly home, or these babies would have been snapped up!


Is there a place on your quilting journey that stands out for you?

Thanks for stopping by
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment